Re: What do SMEs and consultants want from the debian project?

On Thursday 16 February 2012 11:05 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

> If so, I've three key questions for you:
>
> 1. what prevents SMEs from using debian more?
Lack of "Enterprise" Support. So what is enterprise support?

Typically, back-porting of items that interest the enterprise.
Similarly, inclusion of items that interest the enterprise. Items could
be: Code, Patches, New Features etc.

> 2. what could the debian project offer to consultants to help you
> to help more companies to use debian more?
Can Debian be listed under various [HS]CLs of these vendors? They need a
single body to talk to and try to influence their interest. And that
doesn't always align with Debian's interest.

> 3. who's reading this list these days?
>
> And here's my answer to 3: I'm MJ Ray, I'm a far-too-idle debian
> developer who works as part of software.coop, which started out in
> 2002 managing servers and developing web sites for private companies
> and now does that, plus library catalogues and groupware for all sorts
> of enterprises.  I'd like to do more for debian again, but I have to
> make a business case for it and maybe this discussion will help...

What we've done for Debian and other similar projects is provide a
self-help model. http://linux.netapp.com

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System