Re: removing debian-consultants list

cameron@clueinc.net wrote:

Anyway, here are several topics that've been on my mind lately, and that
I'd like to see discussed in the hope that discussion will eventually
result in concrete action:

I was a proponent of the list's removal, given finding a consultant is easier and quicker on the web site... but if it's going to host some interesting discussion I'm not so sure.

1: Re: unstable packages on stable systems

I use apt pinning to install. Create /etc/apt/preferences containing something like:

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

which says 'for all packages, the priority of the unstable archive is 50, which is less than the default of 500 [for stable]'. You could also do things like tell it never to uninstall version X of package Y if you really wanted a given version, or by setting the priority to > 1000, force downgrades (although there's probably other ways to do this). Add unstable lines to your sources.list and then apt-get update. From then on you can:

apt-get install <package>/unstable

which tells apt to install the package, but not necessarily follow dependencies, or:

apt-get -t unstable install <package>

which will. Keep an eye out for important packages being 'upgraded'.

2: Re: Pseudopackages for rapid deployment of common configurations.

Not sure about this one, although it sounds like a good idea, and if done generically could be added to the archive as you can bet consultants aren't the only people doing this.

3: Re: ad-hoc teams could handle bigger jobs

The consultants pages are probably the best place for finding people in your area.

3: Re: getting Debian support from Rackspace, etc.

Isn't there a debian related UML hosting centre now - sure I read that somewhere - maybe DWN? Although it would be nice to see RackSpace supporting Debian. Maybe talk to the JBoss people - didn't they have some support arrangement setup?

4: Re: non-consulting revenue streams

I'm not sure I follow here - our needs are similar to those of other debian users so most of what we develop/package would have a place in the archive. That said there are others doing things like this - Progeny for one?

5: Re: requests for proposal

Again, the consultants list is probably the best place for this.