Re: removing debian-consultants list

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:31, Sam Johnston wrote:
> > 1: Re: unstable packages on stable systems
>
> I use apt pinning to install. Create /etc/apt/preferences containing
> something like:

That doesn't work.  You want to install a new version of something complex
such as a module for Apache and it will drag in dozens of other packages
which then have to be upgraded for security reasons (without any advisories
because the security advisories don't cover unstable).  You may think that
you can use the advisories for Woody to imply that the same upgrade is needed
for unstable, however that does not work in the case of packages that are in
unstable but not in woody.

When I had to install some WebMail servers running IMP3 I found that so much
of unstable was dragged in that it made no sense to avoid upgrading the lot.

I tried doing back-ports, but so many packages were depended on that it was
too much work for one person to back-port it all.