Re: Manpower in Debian Common Lisp Team

Le samedi 26 mars 2022 à 09:59 -0700, Sean Whitton a écrit :
> On Fri 25 Mar 2022 at 05:09pm +01, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
>
> > For the last couple of years, I’ve been the most active member of the
> > Debian Common Lisp Team. However, it’s becoming increasingly clear that
> > my involvement is now going to be significantly reduced (lack of time,
> > change of focus).
> >
> > So this email is essentially a call for volunteers. I will not
> > disappear entirely, so I can certainly act as an adviser during a
> > transition period. In particular, I would explain (or document) a few
> > practices that I’ve been following so far (regarding version numbering
> > and autopkgtests of CL libraries in particular).
>
> I do CL development using only packages from Debian, so I'll help.

Thanks for volunteering!

> > The packages maintained by the team are generally in good shape (with a
> > few exceptions).
> >
> > The most immediate task would be to update SBCL. I’ve given a try to
> > packaging version 2.2.2, but got across a problem I’ve reported
> > upstream (left unanswered so far):
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbcl/+bug/1964511
> > Maybe this problem can be worked around by putting the call to sb-
> > ext:set-sbcl-source-location in /etc/sbclrc, instead of trying to
> > modify the Lisp image at build time (though the latter is obviously
> > better).
>
> Would it be fair to say that it's only the implementations,
> SBCL/ABCL/etc., that require serious work?  I get the impression that
> due to strong backwards-compatibility culture, updating our copies of
> libraries and of SLIME should almost always be very straightforward.
>
> SLIME would be particularly easy for me to take over since I already do
> lots of Emacs work in Debian.

Indeed the main work is to maintain implementations that I have been
maintaining recently: SBCL of course, CLISP (barely active), ABCL (new
in Debian, so hard to tell the amount of work). ECL on the other hand
is still actively maintained by Tobias Hansen.

Updating CL libraries is usually straightforward. There is however one
case that makes it more work: when new dependencies are added which are
not yet in Debian. A couple of CL libraries are currently in that
situation and cannot be updated before some other CL library is
packaged and passes NEW.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer