Re: Manpower in Debian Common Lisp Team

Hello Sébastien,

On Fri 25 Mar 2022 at 05:09pm +01, Sébastien Villemot wrote:

> For the last couple of years, I’ve been the most active member of the
> Debian Common Lisp Team. However, it’s becoming increasingly clear that
> my involvement is now going to be significantly reduced (lack of time,
> change of focus).
>
> So this email is essentially a call for volunteers. I will not
> disappear entirely, so I can certainly act as an adviser during a
> transition period. In particular, I would explain (or document) a few
> practices that I’ve been following so far (regarding version numbering
> and autopkgtests of CL libraries in particular).

I do CL development using only packages from Debian, so I'll help.

> The packages maintained by the team are generally in good shape (with a
> few exceptions).
>
> The most immediate task would be to update SBCL. I’ve given a try to
> packaging version 2.2.2, but got across a problem I’ve reported
> upstream (left unanswered so far):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbcl/+bug/1964511
> Maybe this problem can be worked around by putting the call to sb-
> ext:set-sbcl-source-location in /etc/sbclrc, instead of trying to
> modify the Lisp image at build time (though the latter is obviously
> better).

Would it be fair to say that it's only the implementations,
SBCL/ABCL/etc., that require serious work?  I get the impression that
due to strong backwards-compatibility culture, updating our copies of
libraries and of SLIME should almost always be very straightforward.

SLIME would be particularly easy for me to take over since I already do
lots of Emacs work in Debian.

--
Sean Whitton