Re: vagrant images for kernel testing - kdevops

On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 12:24:09PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/07/22 at 18:27 -0700, Luis Chamberlain wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So I work on kdevops which aims at automating linux kernel
> > testing for different workflows. The main goals were filesystems
> > and block layer, but this will soon grow to cover more. I have
> > embraced vagrant images due to the rapid nature of testing it
> > allows.
> >
> > I made a customization with linux-next and while this works
> > I am started thinking collaborating would be better. Would it
> > be possible to publish variations of debian onto say the
> > vagrant linux-kdevops org with vanilla kernel builds of
> > different types to help with Linux kernel testing? I can help
> > with the setup, as well, kdevops already does all the stuff
> > needed to ramp up for what we need, either the kernel / kernel
> > config, etc.
> >
> > [0] https://github.com/linux-kdevops/
> > [1] https://app.vagrantup.com/linux-kdevops
>
> Interesting project!
>
> If I understand correctly, you are asking whether someone (you?) could
> work on providing vagrant images based on Debian ones, but with custom
> kernels builds.

Yes, augmenting them with:

  * a newer test kernel
  * default to enabling grub console usage
  * default to enabling console on ttyS0
  * default to using GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y so to ensure to enable
    expected results from grub-set-default to help with automation,
    for details on this refer to my notes [0]

Each image would then have two kernels available, a) the latest
debian-testing (whatever you guys use on the latest images), and b) a
development kernel. The reason for having two is as a developer you may
want to boot to a stable kernel to verify why something may not be
working on an development kernel so it is useful to have that always.

As I see it we'd have a few flavors:

 * stable kernels
 * linux-next - daily
 * linus - tracks each rc release and initial point release

[0] https://github.com/linux-kdevops/kdevops/blob/master/playbooks/roles/bootlinux/tasks/update-grub/install.yml

> The answer is yes: what we use to generate Debian images is publicly
> available at https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-vagrant-images/,
> and it should be reasonably easy to derive from it to build custom images.
>
> And we would welcome patches to help such customization work, if that's
> useful for you.
>
> Let me know if I can help somehow.

Sure I'll take a look. Thanks!

Curious, is any of this also useful to build the other cloud images?
Or is that a separate effort?

  Luis