Re: Finding new home for our builds and other security sensitive stuff

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 09:41:47PM -0800, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > We use Hashicorp Vault in my company, and we are very happy of it. It works
> > well, it's safe, and has many good options. So I support the idea.
> +1 - we should talk more about how this would look.  I have some thoughts.
> We could keep it simple: one VM in an autounseal supported cloud, probably
> using a storage backend from the platform.

Yeah.  That just reduces the possibilities to the large platforms.

> > > Using another GitLab instance is a bit more problematic.  Due to the
> > > ressources we use, most of the instances out there are kind of out of
> > > the question.  Which remains is hosting one ourselves.  That's not
> > > ideal, by far.
> gitlab.com could work - they could handle our artifacts, and we could bring our
> own CI runners.  This might not be popular for a variety of reasons (and I'm
> not pushing for it).  But I think it's important to note since:
> a) it's technically feasible, and
> b) it's probably the least effort (both migration & ongoing ops)

Yes, it is possible.

> Thanks!  Bastian, do you remember how much artifact storage we use?  IIRC, it's
> surprisingly large.  salsa is still down at the moment, so I'm unable to check.

It isn't that much.  Let's say something below 200G, more like 50.

> > But, this is problematic not only for the cloud team. Let's hope this gets
> > fixed "soon", no? Maybe we should set a deadline for ourselves?
> 100% agreed.  I don't think we need to set a deadline yet, but I think we
> should continue this conversation so we can build opinions about our options.

Well, 14 months should be enough, don't you think?

Bastian

--
Bones: "The man's DEAD, Jim!"