Re: Finding new home for our builds and other security sensitive stuff

Hi Bastian,

On 2/27/22 14:09, Bastian Blank wrote:
Hi

Sadly the problems regarding Salsa did just gain a new level.  For those
who don't follow debian-private or the monthly meetings of the Cloud
team, this is the short version:

- The instance was not updated for any of the last nine upstream
   releases, it is now seven months out of upstream security support.
- It is now affected by a critical (aka pre-auth) vulnerability, which
   leads to expossure of secrets stored in the instance.

I don't see or hear anything that would make me think there will be any
meaningful change in maintenance procedures in the future.

Our image management stuff uses capabilities of Salsa and also uses it
to store the secrets required to do privileged operations on Cloud
platforms.  Those stored secrets are non-expiring and allow privileged
access to our releases on those platforms.

After thinking about, I propose two projects:
- Move secrets to Vault.
- Move the critical projects to a properly maintainer GitLab instance.

Using Hashicorp Vault as secrets store allows us tighter controls, like
- providing the jobs with temporary access credentials,
- restricting from where credentials can be read and
- get an audit log when, who, where credentials have been requested.

We use Hashicorp Vault in my company, and we are very happy of it. It works well, it's safe, and has many good options. So I support the idea.

Using another GitLab instance is a bit more problematic.  Due to the
ressources we use, most of the instances out there are kind of out of
the question.  Which remains is hosting one ourselves.  That's not
ideal, by far.

If we need hosting space, we (at Infomaniak) have really enough resources to provide it in our public cloud. It work super well (zero issue since its launch in September, if we don't consider abusers registering all available public IPs), and has very new hardware. Worst case, I can grant you such a public cloud account for our operations.

But, this is problematic not only for the cloud team. Let's hope this gets fixed "soon", no? Maybe we should set a deadline for ourselves?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Sorry I missed the last meetings, I'll make sure not to miss the next one.