Re: Global networking change in our AWS accounts

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 07:45:31AM -0800, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > We like to do a global change to the way the network is setup on the new
> > AWS accounts.  The goal is to reduce the amount of global IPv4 addresses
> > to a minimum, as those are an increasingly rare comodity nowadays.
>
> Thanks for your work operating these environments.  It's much
> appreciated!  I want to clarify one detail - you've decided to stop
> offering globally routable IPv4 addresses in the AWS environments that
> you manage.  Since you are the one managing these accounts, that is well
> within your rights.
>
> But it isn't a policy the team has adopted.  I don't see any problem
> with your choice, but please don't position it as the team's official
> stance.

Well, it wasn't quite unilateral.  I agreed when Bastian proposed the
idea on IRC.

However, based on the responses, it is evident that this change will
cause sufficient problems for enough people that we should reconsider
its timing.  To be clear, there is absolutely no pressure from AWS or
any other entity to reduce our IPv4 footprint.  This change is desirable
in that it simplifies how our instances connect to the internet, making
it easier to reason about their exposure, etc, but if we need to
continue to manage direct IPv4 connectivity, we can do that.

Rather than postponing this change indefinitely, what about delaying it
until June 2022 (chosen arbitrarily).  This gives more time for people
to come to terms with the changes and make plans to adjust accordingly.

noah