Re: improving documenation

On 2021-04-28 09:45:38 -0700 (-0700), Noah Meyerhans wrote:
[...]
> I suspect, but am not sure, that even in OpenStack environments, it's
> the administrator that is going to be retrieving the images and
> registering them with the service, and most users of those services
> aren't going to need to download the images from us.
[...]

There are a few reasons why this isn't necessarily true:

* Not all public cloud providers bother to include a Debian image in
  their catalogue.

* Public cloud providers who do include a Debian image in their
  catalogue don't always refresh it in a timely manner.

* Public cloud providers who do include a Debian image in their
  catalogue don't necessarily have an official Debian image because
  they sometimes inject additional default configuration, custom
  agent daemons, or make other similar tweaks.

* Public cloud providers who do include a Debian image in their
  catalogue often only provide stable images, not testing/unstable
  snapshots.

This is not theoretical, I have personally experienced all of the
above. Particularly for multi-cloud users, this quickly becomes
frustrating because it can be impossible to maintain consistency
when your servers are spread across different cloud providers. The
user has effectively two solutions... 1. download images from
debian.org and upload them into their accounts at each provider
(this is what I do for my personal servers which are spread across a
few different providers for redundancy); 2. build their own
unofficial Debian images and upload those (this is what happens at
my day job where we have applications which connect to more than a
dozen different providers who donate accounts to us).

I expect I'm a "power user" in this sense, so while I agree that the
average user today is probably only going to have an account in a
single provider and/or will otherwise likely be fine with the image
that provider spoon-feeds them, "multi-cloud" is becoming a hot
topic and normal users are turning into power users who will need
similar solutions in the long run.
--
Jeremy Stanley