Re: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure introduction

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 04:28:13PM -0700, Paul Graydon wrote:
> > debian-cloud-images uses apache libcloud, but OCI is not listed as a supported
> > provider at [1].  You might first need to add support to libcloud.
>
> Okay.  So the goal here would be for us to make code changes and submit a
> pull request, and maintaining that part of the code as necessary?

Yes - lots of the repo is shared and maintained by the team, but we'd
need someone knowledable about OCI to implement the cloud-specific
items.

> I'm attempting to anticipate our legal team's questions, as we'll have to
> get clearance from them before we can make such changes:
>
> * Are there any specific agreements, such as a Contributor License
> Agreement, that we'd need to sign before contributing code?

No CLA is required.

> * Is everything covered under the GPL v2  license that's stored in the
> repository as  "COPYING"?
> https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/-/blob/master/COPYING
> There's a reference to GPL-2+ under https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/-/blob/master/copyright.
> Is this to cover a potential switch to GPL v3 at some stage?

This looks like a bug.  d/copyright predates the COPYING file, but they
should agree.

Bastian - you added COPYING, along with much of the code.  Did you mean
for your contributions to be GPL 2 only?

> With regards to libcloud, it looks like you're relying on it for upload to
> the cloud provider only?  We have an S3 compatible API on our Object Storage
> service, so that may not be a blocking issue.  I'll certainly speak to our
> Developer Experience team about getting support added to libcloud though.
> Even if it's not necessary for this work, there's bound to be other projects
> that rely on it.

If there's another step in the release (i.e., registering an image after
uploading the file) it may be needed there as well.

> Almost everything will already be covered by standard packages and
> configuration changes.  It's nothing particularly exotic.

Great, that should be easy.

> There is one component that is not in the Debian repositories, the Oracle
> Cloud Agent, which we're looking at open sourcing.  Its primary
> responsibility is for emitting metrics from instances.  We package this in a
> number of formats and have available for installation.

Ideally, this agent should be packaged in a debian policy-compliant
fashion and contributed to the main archive.  Then, it could be used in
official images.

Depending on the details of that agent, this could be easy or difficult.
This page has links to resources on that process.  It should help
determining the scope of that effort: https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging

Ross