Re: Better arm64 support

On 2020-04-26 22:24 -0700, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
[Cheers for cc:ing, I'm not subscribed here]

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:52:40PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> > Someone asked me for a VM image recently, and I discovered we now
> > make some available at: https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/
>
> There's new work in progress at: https://image-finder.debian.net/ That page
> includes some info on the different image types, but doesn't always have up to
> date data yet.

OK. That's useful. Boggling long list of AWS images!
Perhaps that should be linked from /debian-cloud-images/ so people could find it.
(where does the content for that page live?)

> > The 'genericcloud' and 'nocloud' images are amd64 only. Maybe they
> > don't make sense for arm64 - what are they for?
>
> generic is most flexible, genericcloud has physical hardware drivers disabled,
> and nocloud is as minimal as possible.  The tools, configs, and docs are in
> this repo: https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/

OK. Sounds like arm64 should be enabled for these too. I'll have a look.

> Was your user able to get an image working?

Well when the website said everything (except openstack) was amd64 only
(https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/) (and it still does - how do
we change that page?) I just went and made him a rootfs with debootstrap:
sudo debootstrap --include=linux-image-arm64 testing arm64rootfs
which got him going.

> If not, that'd be somewhere to
> start.  I have minimal experience with arm virtualization, so I'm not really
> familiar with what use-cases would be common.

Neither am I to be honest, but essentilly the use cases are the same
as x86. It looks (or should look) exactly the same to users. It's just
that some virtualisation providers don't offer arm64 hardware yet.

> > I don't know if there are other services that it would make sense to
> > support, e.g packet provide arm64 online compute. https://www.packet.com
> > They already provide debian 8,9,10 options, apparently built as docker
> > images: https://github.com/packethost/packet-images
>
> I haven't heard that anyone on the team uses packet - but if someone wanted to
> extend support for their platform, I imagine we'd accept it.

I've made contact with them to ask about what specific support is
needed. It seems like a generic image should work, but there are some
API support tools we could usefully add. I'll have a go with this and
make changes to /debian-cloud-images/ if appropriate.

> > A kosher debian image might be a good idea, but then maybe the generic
> > ones work already? I just failed to find any info on whether anything
> > special is needed in their images.
>
> The generic image should have a good shot at working, though it likely contains
> many drivers that won't be useful.

Right. And maybe generic cloud works.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/