Re: Better arm64 support

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:52:40PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Someone asked me for a VM image recently, and I discovered we now
> make some available at: https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/

There's new work in progress at: https://image-finder.debian.net/ That page
includes some info on the different image types, but doesn't always have up to
date data yet.

> The 'genericcloud' and 'nocloud' images are amd64 only. Maybe they
> don't make sense for arm64 - what are they for?

generic is most flexible, genericcloud has physical hardware drivers disabled,
and nocloud is as minimal as possible.  The tools, configs, and docs are in
this repo: https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/

> So, I'd like to ask who's behind this fine service, and whether
> anything more is needed to get arm parity with x86. Possibly there is
> nothing to do except update the front page, but if there is I'm able
> to spend time helping update things and I can get us some
> hardware or resource to do builds on if that's what's needed,
> (because Arm/linaro/Huawei/others would like to see x86_64/arm64
> parity for things like this and understand that kit/cycles need to be
> supplied).

Was your user able to get an image working?  If not, that'd be somewhere to
start.  I have minimal experience with arm virtualization, so I'm not really
familiar with what use-cases would be common.

> I don't know if there are other services that it would make sense to
> support, e.g packet provide arm64 online compute. https://www.packet.com
> They already provide debian 8,9,10 options, apparently built as docker
> images: https://github.com/packethost/packet-images

I haven't heard that anyone on the team uses packet - but if someone wanted to
extend support for their platform, I imagine we'd accept it.

> A kosher debian image might be a good idea, but then maybe the generic
> ones work already? I just failed to find any info on whether anything
> special is needed in their images.

The generic image should have a good shot at working, though it likely contains
many drivers that won't be useful.

Ross