Re: Using Salsa via OIDC to authenticate to AWS

On Tue, 2020-02-18 at 22:06 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Next step in our quest to have usable AWS accounts is user handling.
>
> I looked into the available options.  Those are local account or
> federation via SAML or OpenID Connect.  Federation needs both an
> external user source and some glue, due to the internal handling in
> AWS.
>
> Local users work, but require either some sync tool or manual user
> setup, and most likely manual password handling.
>
> SAML federation is weird and I found no IdP implementation that
> allows
> proper specification of the required user attributes.
>
> I would like to use OpenID Connect federation against
> salsa.debian.org
> for now.  This needs some glue in form of a small web application I
> implemented.[1]
>
> The login is reachable via
> https://awsauth.debian.net/
>
> This setup trusts the following services:
> - salsa.debian.org for proper authentication and providing group
>   information.
> - awsauth.debian.net for translating group information into AWS
> roles.
>   It can't change user information, as the used ID token is signed by
>   salsa.
>
> Regards,
> Bastian
>
> [1]: https://salsa.debian.org/waldi/oidc-aws

Thanks. I just checked it and it worked - was able
to log in to AWS console and see some things.
Was not able to do much, but it's great start.

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak, Debian Developer <serpent@debian.org>
GPG: A565 CE64 F866 A258 4DDC F9C7 ECB7 3E37 E887 AA8C