Re: Installing plymouth

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 03:13:52PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> systemd got two output mechanisms: status and log.
>
> log goes to the journal, but can also go via kmsg and the console.

To the log goes all messages that are not startup status messages.  So
for example start and stop messages after the boot process finished.

> status is only active on boot, before the gettys are active and the
> output is cleared.

The status output are the colorful start, failure and timeout messages
during boot.  They only go to the primary console right now, so the
serial console.

If I install plymouth and don't configure it any further on Buster,
those status messages are sent to all consoles.  So it may make sense to
install it.

The virtual console is cleared imediately before starting the getty, so
it's use as status output is limited to error scenarious.  Also I don't
know if the output of for example cloud-init will show up there as well.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
		-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1