Re: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 10:56:51AM -0500, Paul Graydon wrote:
> Why didn't we use cloud-init?  For pretty much the same reason the other
> cloud vendors haven't, and there was fair bit of discussion about it at the
> cloud-init summit back in August. RedHat doesn't backport features.  The
> Redhat based distributions are running comparatively ancient versions of
> cloud-init, and we can't inject newer versions in the images used on our
> platforms, or we fall afoul of their branding rules and wouldn't be able to
> call it "CentOS", futor example.

It won't help for 5-7 years (customers use downlevel versions of RHEL
for a ****long**** time) --- one of the things I most enjoyed when I
moved from IBM was Google was the knowledge that I could make an
improvement in the kernel, and have my customers start to benefit from
that change in less than 3 months.... as opposed to being at the mercy
of Red Hat and SuSE's arthritic kernel update/release schedules.  :-)

But it seems to me that making cloud-init to use some kind of plug-in
architecture would be really helpful, even if it's not going to be a
solution for the immediate future.  That, and cloud-init *badly* needs
to get away from the "run-and-done" model.

> There are also other considerations such as Windows, feature release
> co-ordination etc, runtime features (one thing Google's instance agent
> supports is injecting new SSH keys to instances, which cloud-init as a "run
> and done" doesn't support.)

"Run-and-done" also doesn't support disk snapshots and disk resizing
properly.

						- Ted