Oracle Cloud Infrastructure

Hi all,

First a quick introduction.  My name is Paul Graydon, I'm a Systems Engineer in the Imaging team at Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), Oracle's new cloud platform.  The imaging team is responsible for the creation (or ingestion), and publication of images on our platform.  We publish updated images every month for a number of distributions.  In addition to what we call "canned images", we also offer a Partner Image Catalogue service, where third party vendors can produce and publish images through our platform.

We'd like to include Debian as one of the main distributions we offer, and I believe this is the right place to find out how we might go about doing that.  For some distributions (like CentOS), the preferred approach is for us to generate the images ourselves, which is definitely an option.  For others (like Ubuntu), images are generated for us that we publish.   We're happy to go with whatever is the preferred approach.

I notice that Debian produce images for some clouds, including the older Oracle Cloud Compute platform, via bootstrap-vz?.  OCI supports on-demand bare metal instances (no hypervisor), with root drive mounted from iSCSI, which requires a slightly different image build.  While we could just use a straight paravirtualised-only image on our platform, I'd love to enable all kinds of workloads for our customers, if possible.  Especially in a post-spectre/meltdown world, being able to use instances without hypervisors provides our customers notable performance gains.

Paul