Re: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure

On 12/23/18 6:17 PM, Paul Graydon wrote:
> In
> addition to what we call "canned images", we also offer a Partner Image
> Catalogue service, where third party vendors can produce and publish
> images through our platform.
>
> We'd like to include Debian as one of the main distributions we offer,
> and I believe this is the right place to find out how we might go about
> doing that.

You've knocked on the correct door. Welcome!

> For some distributions (like CentOS), the preferred
> approach is for us to generate the images ourselves, which is definitely
> an option. For others (like Ubuntu), images are generated for us that
> we publish. We're happy to go with whatever is the preferred approach.

The only Debian image that we allow to be called "official" are these
generated on our infrastructure, with the software being available in
Debian.

> I notice that Debian produce images for some clouds, including the older
> Oracle Cloud Compute platform, via bootstrap-vz?.

We are now standardizing on FAI to build our images. If you want the
Debian Oracle image to become official, it will have to use that.

> OCI supports
> on-demand bare metal instances (no hypervisor), with root drive mounted
> from iSCSI, which requires a slightly different image build.

Could you describe what changes are involved? To my experience, booting
an image via network only means providing a few parameters to the
kernel, and having the correct drivers loaded on the ramdisk. That's not
much to ask.

Have you tried some of the already existing images that Debian provides?
Does Oracle provide a metadata service compatible with cloud-init?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)