Re: Package conflicts, breaks, and problematic upgrades... with irqbalance

    > So, irqbalance is a recommended package not a required package. But because its a recommended package by the kernel package it seems to get
    > priority to be installed even though it is not installed already.

In our cloud FAI config we use this:

PACKAGES install-norec AMD64
linux-image-amd64

This means install linux-image-amd64 without recommends. If some other
package also has irqbalance in its recommends, we can explicitly add a
line

    irqbalance-

which should deinstall or prevent it from being installed.

--
regards Thomas