Vagrantfile's config.vm.some-key is breaking vagrant-up in vbox 4.3

An old version of VirtualBox does not support a configuration key
used in the Vagrantfile to build a parent image from which my
recommended base box is derived.  I'm wondering if there is someway we
might disable that in our base image, before it crashes the legacy
VirtualBox version.

I cannot seem to find my notes (from two nights ago when working on a
colleague's machine, with virtualbox 4.3 installed from his aptitude
packaging).  But it is the configuration key which when set, on my 5.2
installation successfully builds and generates this message:

==> default: Machine 'default' has a post `vagrant up` message. This is a message
==> default: from the creator of the Vagrantfile, and not from Vagrant itself:
==> default:
==> default: Vanilla Debian box. See https://app.vagrantup.com/debian for help and bug reports

--
Hugh Esco <hesco@yourmessagedelivered.com>