Re: Building cloud images in sandbox VMs

Le 13/10/2017 à 14:49, Noah Meyerhans a écrit :

>>> If I recall correctly this is about creating ephemeral vms (possibly from
>>> template) on demand to used them as build machines for cloud images.
>>
>> I had a look at various possible tools which could make that possible,
>> here is a short summary.
>> If people have more details, please share, not flame.
>>
>> Background reason: you need root rights for most of the build tools, and
>> the cduser on the build server is an unpriviledged user.
>> So we want to use sandbox VMs for the builds.

> The proposed solutions all assume that the builder VM must reside on
> hardware owned by Debian. I assert that this is not necessary, and that
> a VM on a cloud platform is sufficient (for that cloud platform's
> images, at the very least).

Does the builder VM must be reside on hardware owned by Debian ? I
though this was somehow a goal we set to label the images as 'official'.
But maybe it's enough if the build is taking place in a Debian
controlled environment like you mentioned ?

I was mostly researching for a replacement for petterson-live (which
builds live image and openstack images), so we can non-priveledged VM
builds also locally.

Emmanuel