Re: Building cloud images in sandbox VMs

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 01:48:53PM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> >>     > Building
> >>     > --------
> >>
> >>     > any further. We will need to look into tools for making new VMs.
> >> I wonder what is meant by "making new VM".
> >> You do mean creating the disk image for the VM or starting the VM with
> >> a tool like virsh?
> >
> > If I recall correctly this is about creating ephemeral vms (possibly from
> > template) on demand to used them as build machines for cloud images.
>
> I had a look at various possible tools which could make that possible,
> here is a short summary.
> If people have more details, please share, not flame.
>
> Background reason: you need root rights for most of the build tools, and
> the cduser on the build server is an unpriviledged user.
> So we want to use sandbox VMs for the builds.

The proposed solutions all assume that the builder VM must reside on
hardware owned by Debian. I assert that this is not necessary, and that
a VM on a cloud platform is sufficient (for that cloud platform's
images, at the very least). Thus, my preferred solution for creating a
builder vm is in essence:

$ aws ec2 run-instances --image-id ami-foo \
      --user-data file://ec2-userdata.yaml

Where the ec2-userdata.yaml contains configuration for cloud-init
telling it how to set up and run FAI and ami-foo is the current public
stretch AMI on AWS. The resulting VM is completely disposable. Any
desired state, from logs to the entire disk image, can be preserved if
desired.

It should be straightforward to port this to other cloud platforms.

noah