Re: Build chain for centos7 boxes (oz. imagefactory)

On 15/10/16 14:30, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
I tried to install imagefactory from source to have a look but I didn't
get it to work,
( after sudo python ./setup.py build install
I get
    from imgfac.Version import VERSION as VERSION
ImportError: No module named Version
)
Also the rpm repo from the imagefactory website is missing.

I tried to ask Ian on #centos-devel, but I didn't get any answer until now. I'm getting the same error on CentOS 7, both with setup.py and when simply following the instructions from the README, to run imagefactory directly from source. There are RPMs for imagefactory and its plugins both in Fedora and EPEL, but the Source0 setting in the spec file [1] doesn't seem to be up to date: the latest version available there is 1.1.3. One could probably get newer releases as .tar.gz from GitHub, but spec files should be self-sufficient, in the ideal case.

setup.py should generate the file Version.py [2], perhaps you have to run setup.py sdist - I didn't try it.

[1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/imagefactory/sources/spec/
[2] https://github.com/redhat-imaging/imagefactory/blob/master/setup.py#L53-L55

All of this look interesting, as using these tools would spare me the
custom writing of cloud format converts for OVF. Seems oz is already
packaged in Debian and has Debian too ( via calling the debian-installer
on a disk image I suppose)

That's right, it uses Oz. Maybe it's easier to reuse just the image conversion routines, than add full Debian support to ImageFactory.

Best regards,
Laurențiu