Re: Build chain for centos7 boxes (oz. imagefactory)

> setup.py should generate the file Version.py [2], perhaps you have to
> run setup.py sdist - I didn't try it.
>
> [1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/imagefactory/sources/spec/
> [2]
> https://github.com/redhat-imaging/imagefactory/blob/master/setup.py#L53-L55
>
>> All of this look interesting, as using these tools would spare me the
>> custom writing of cloud format converts for OVF. Seems oz is already
>> packaged in Debian and has Debian too ( via calling the debian-installer
>> on a disk image I suppose)
>
> That's right, it uses Oz.  Maybe it's easier to reuse just the image
> conversion routines, than add full Debian support to ImageFactory.

Thanks for your help

So I managed to install imagefactory using setup.py sdist and grepping
the rpm spec file for dependency but did not get very far.
It seems to use a daemon somewhere but without documentation it's very
much a time consuming trial and error.

I had a look at oz too, since it's packaged in Debian and was a bit
disappointed to see its 737 line long
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oz/Debian.py unpacks a debian iso to
modify the boot parameter.
Also I could not get it to work to create a Debian 8 image, it fails
downloading the iso.

So it looks oz is not up to the task for the job it would need serious
work, so I am going to stick with packer ( or maybe virt-install ) for
the momment.

I also found out this week it's trivial to create a debian image using
virt-install from the libvirt folks with a preseed file. Works in text
mode, don't require an ISO, as non root.

virt-install \
--connect qemu:///session \
--name debian \
--ram 512 \
--vcpus 1 \
--file debuan.qcow2 \
--file-size=4 \
--location
http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/ \
--virt-type kvm \
--os-variant Debian8 \
--network=user \
--noreboot \
--graphics none \
--console pty,target_type=serial \
--extra-args "auto=true hostname=debian domain=
url=http://10.0.2.2:8000/vanilla-debian-8-jessie-preseed.cfg
console=ttyS0,115200n8 DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text"