Re: EC2 image boot time improvements

On 09/02/16 01:12 PM, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I was hit by that yesterday:
Glad I'm not alone with this

> Ubuntu used to have an EC2 flavor of their kernel, but looks like they
> aren't using it anymore since Maverick (10.10)[1]. So I'm not sure if
> we should do this nearly six years later.
>
> This Xen framebuffer initialization delay can also be observed on
> Oracle Compute Cloud and probably on any Xen HVM installation. As it
> looks like you solved this, maybe we can integrated this change to the
> default kernel, instead of packaging a new stripped down version for
> an specific provider?
I agree, I'm just not sure if that option is necessary for some users
and/or platforms. If it is not critical I would disable it or compile as
a module and blacklist by default.
> Your pull request was merged back then and AFAICT, the need for a new
> tag/release had no impact whatsoever, because James uses the upstream
> code (possible with some changes on his fork, which are used to be
> merged later). What happened is that he hadn't published a new EC2
> image after it was merged.
>
> "v0.9.9-squeeze" was tagged because we wanted to make clear that this
> is the last version which Squeeze is supported, as you can see on #280[2].
I see thanks for explanation.
I've just double checked: Debian package doesn't have that change yet.

Thanks
Tim