Re: Comments on live-build, vmdebootstrap, bootstrap-vz, and live-wrapper

On 08/19/2016 03:02 AM, Adam Bolte wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:19:42AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> I'm however surprised that in your review, you didn't take into account:
>> - openstack-debian-images (currently the only tool which is officially
>> building cloud image at http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/).
>> - diskimage-builder
>
> openstack-debian-images looks quite nice.

:)

> I continue to use and maintain debian-image-builder (over at
> https://github.com/sitepoint/debian-image-builder) which is somewhat
> similar in many respects. Also written in Bash (and uses debootstrap),

openstack-debian-images uses ISO shell (ie: it's compatible with dash),
and doesn't include bashism.

> but easy enough to follow and extend. It primarily targets AWS, but
> theoretically supports GCE too (which I haven't used in ages but
> nobody reported bugs against) and should be straightforward to support
> other targets.

Oh, that's nice. I'd love to add AWS & GCE support to
openstack-debian-images, so that we have all of our targets covered.
Instead of a huge (pointless) debate about features and such, I'd very
much prefer if you helped me to do that. Do you have time for it?

> All generic build steps are split out into small files in the 'tasks'
> directory, and platform-specific tasks are split out into
> sub-directories specific to a Debian release and target environment
> such as EC2. It's trivial to delete any existing tasks, or insert
> custom tasks in the desired order, and there are number of plugins
> that show of how easy it is to do, such as a plugins to remove systemd
> or adjust EC2 launch permissions.

I just had a quick look. Your tool looks very cleanly written.

It is harder to read the script in once since it has lots of small
files. I prefer a single flat file with conditionals. Also, apt-get
install during the script is a no-go, and should be replaced by runtime
Depends: in a package, but that's easily fixed.

Would you like to help me push this into openstack-debian-images?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)