Re: Comments on live-build, vmdebootstrap, bootstrap-vz, and live-wrapper

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:19:42AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I'm however surprised that in your review, you didn't take into account:
> - openstack-debian-images (currently the only tool which is officially
> building cloud image at http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/).
> - diskimage-builder

openstack-debian-images looks quite nice.

I continue to use and maintain debian-image-builder (over at
https://github.com/sitepoint/debian-image-builder) which is somewhat
similar in many respects. Also written in Bash (and uses debootstrap),
but easy enough to follow and extend. It primarily targets AWS, but
theoretically supports GCE too (which I haven't used in ages but
nobody reported bugs against) and should be straightforward to support
other targets.

All generic build steps are split out into small files in the 'tasks'
directory, and platform-specific tasks are split out into
sub-directories specific to a Debian release and target environment
such as EC2. It's trivial to delete any existing tasks, or insert
custom tasks in the desired order, and there are number of plugins
that show of how easy it is to do, such as a plugins to remove systemd
or adjust EC2 launch permissions.