Use of Debian Installer to create cloud images.

Le Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 04:19:39PM +0200, Thomas Lange a écrit :

> I would never use d-i or tasksel for creating cloud images.

Actually, I did use d-i and I am still disappointed that it was met with so
much indifference at the time.

http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/installeur-debian-dans-le-nuage-amazon/

In terms of quantity of code to maintain, this is orders of magnitude lower
than writing an image builder from scratch.

Using d-i means that the workflow becomes:

 - Make all the programmatic parts available as debian packages,
 - Express the differences between a standard installation and a cloud
   installation as a preseed file.

With this approach, it becomes easy to inspect and track differences between
cloud images.  The biggest drawback is that, for Stable images, one needs to go
either through Stable updates, which means that a Debian Developer who is very
busy and not involved in making cloud images has to inspect the diff and agree
with our changes.  Which, as Thomas noted, can be very hard.

Lastly, it was always my hope that using d-i to create cloud images would bring
extra hands working on d-i, which I guess would have been appreciated.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan