Re: non-standard TCP tunings in EC2 images

On 07/20/2016 08:59 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> - dkms, which also pulls linux-headers-amd64, gcc 4.8 and 4.9, make,
>   patch, sudo: Apparently, this is required to build Intel's ixgbevf
>   driver, which is built and shipped inside the image. The 'task' in
>   bootstrapvz doesn't explain in which cases this driver is needed.
>   Maybe dkms and its dependencies could be removed after the kernel
>   module is built?

If we need a dkms module, then it's build dependency must stay in the
image, otherwise how do you get security updates for it?

> - parted, gdisk: probably needed to grow partitions at boot (I did not
>   check)

Not needed.

> - bootlogd: maybe (but it's not really needed anymore with systemd)

Right, this is a sysv-rc thing.

On 07/20/2016 05:09 PM, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> This was needed a while ago, as growpart under Jessie wasn't working
> under some circunstancies (and it's quite hard to do a stable update).
> This isn't needed when using a newer version of cloud-utils from
> backports and we are working on it[3].

I am *very* frustrated that I can only agree with the fact that getting
stable-updates is very much painful, or nearly impossible. But that's
mostly IMO because nobody really tries.

I've pointed out about a dozen time to J.Christau about why we needed a
few .service files: it ends up with Ben Hutching explaining that systemd
has no support for the S runleve of sysv-rc, which ultimately is the
issue here.

But here, it really looks like I'm the only person that is actively
trying to fight for this [1]. Maybe the stable release team would
reconsider if they see that a lot of people are expecting fixes to
really reach Stable.

To me, cloud-init is the driver of the cloud, and should be considered
the exact same way kernel drivers are: mandatory if we want to support
everyone.

Yet, the only thing I've been seeing in this list, is activating the
backports, and pulling stuff from there. So far, only myself and Charles
Plessy have tried [2].

Could you guys try to be supportive, and push the release team to accept
the update(s)?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/784083