CDN based on cloudfront.debian.net (was: non-standard TCP tunings in EC2 images)

On 2016-07-21 07:51:02, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:09:55PM -0300, Tiago Ilieve a écrit :
> >
> > > - backports use cloudfront.debian.net. It would be great to work with
> > >   DSA to make cloudfront.debian.net official (part of deb.debian.org).
> > >   In the meantime, I would be more comfortable with using deb.debian.org.
> >
> > In the last time I've checked[2], although "cloudfront.d.n" were
> > specified in the manifest, it was being overwritten to
> > "httpredir.d.o". Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable using "deb.d.o"
> > as it's still an experimental service.
>
> By the way, httpredir.d.o is badly broken (#8210580, and in the North-East Asia
> AWS region, located in Japan, it has been causing APT to take irrelevent and
> sometimes very slow mirrors, from Korea to Turkey.  As of today, it looks like
> it sometimes find a mirror in Japan, but still in 50% of the cases it gets it
> wrong and goes to China.
>
>     http://mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/debian/
>     http://debian-mirror.sakura.ne.jp/debian/
>
> Using cloudfront.d.n in the AWS images would make much more sense. It was made
> by a DD, it was announced on this list, and as of today nobody raised concerns
> about quality of service, security or privacy with this mirror.  Getting it
> blessed by the DSA would be great, but before discussing it further, I would
> like to invite people to read the thread on this list about blessing the Azure
> mirror.  Sometimes, the answers to « Strange, why did not people do this simple
> no, it is not the lazy man's excuse for avoiding tedious work, it is because
> there are real differences between geographical country-based mirrors and
> mirrors designed for a given cloud, even if they are technically accessible
> from outside.

In this subject in #698477 I expressed my will to work with DSA to bring
cloudfront.d.n to cloudfront.d.o, so I think it should be possible in not so
distant future to have it running as fully flagged and DSA endorsed 2nd CDN for
Debian.

DSA had some valid points which James rectified earlier today so it really
looks like we're on a good track now with this issue.
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3