Re: non-standard TCP tunings in EC2 images

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:26:55AM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > I noticed because #830353, #830452 and #831249 are triggered by this.
>     > One could argue that those test suites are a bit fragile, but on the
>     > other hand, I would expect an image labelled as "Official Debian" on
>     > https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image to not differ from default
>     > Debian configuration in subtle ways like this.
> As a user I would expect that an Official Debian image works like a
> charm on my cloud. As a user, I do not care about FTBS bugs, these are
> bugs a developer cares about, and should be fixed by adjusting the test
> suite.
as a user I care about having the same "experience" anywhere I run debian,
I already hate that each cloud provisions a different username for me to login,
now I need to check sysctl values too.

Consistency has a great value when you use multiple environments, cloud
or not.

> Using tasksel we already have different flavours of Debian
> installations. Why not see the cloud images as another flavour, which
> besides having some additional packages installed also tune some
> parameters for best practice in a cloud environment.

I don't mind if there is a task/metapkg called "EC2-optimal",
"OpenStack-Optimized", whatever. but the default image on each cloud
provider should be as close as possible to debian installed from d-i.

> --
> regards Thomas

cheers

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: http://keybase.io/gfa