Re: Jessie Vagrant/VirtualBox image stuck booting ?

Hi.

Emmanuel Kasper <emmanuel@libera.cc> writes:

>> After testing again in order to be able to stop the boot process and
>> changing the grub config generation code, to set GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
>> (unfortunately, this ain't configurable through the manifest and
>> hardcoded in bootstrapvz/common/tasks/grup.py AFAIU), I've tested with
>> different kernel arguments.
>>
>> It seems that removing 'console=hvc0' lets it boot, or at least,
>> displays boot messages on the virtualbox console.
>>
>> I can therefore vagrant ssh succesfully :-)
>>
>> I don't know what exactly changed and whether this console setting if
>> suitable for Virtualbox. In comparison, I guess the default for
>> virtualbox might just be no console setting, and maybe a 'quiet'
>> argument ?
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Hi Olivier
> hvc0 is the xen serial console (probably a relic from an AWS config), so
> it looks like a bug from bootstrap-vz.

I think so, yes. Just reported
https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz/issues/312

> I guess if the console points  to a non-existing device the kernel will
> refuse to boot ?

Dunno, or it boots and just doesn't offer any more console
messages+interaction visible in the Virtualbox GUI ?

> BTW for interrupting I thought it would be possible to press Shift when
> starting the Box in GUI mode. Does that work on VirtualBox ?

I'm gonna try and test. Still, given how booting virtualbox VMs is quite
slow in general, I woudln't be aginst changing the default timeout to
waiting for 1 sec, when the target is virtualbox, whereas no delay by
default might be better for other virtualizers, where interaction is
less likely to happen (no GUI by default) ?

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER