Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

On 11 January 2016 at 06:05, Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@ftbfs.de> wrote:

> This will generate outgoing traffic, which users will have to pay for,
> at least to get the 302 which then should send you to the internal
> mirror. This is not the prefered option, but we could try to get that
> set up.

I guess you are confusing this part, Martin. Azure, like other cloud
providers (at least Amazon and Google), doesn't charge their users for
ingress bandwidth[1]:

"Inbound data transfers
(i.e. data going into Azure data centers): Free"

So even if they use a mirror located outside Microsoft network, they
will not be paying more for it. This is not outgoing traffic.

Anyhow, I'm seeing a lot of "please read" or "read it again" answers,
which may indicate that we are repeating the same things over the
discussion. We can sumarize it answering the following questions:

Are there any mirrors which aren't public available located at a
"debian.net" or "debian.org" subdomain? If not, why should we make an
exception in this case? Otherwise, it will not be a problem adding
another one for Azure.

I like the "httpredir.debian.org" redirection as it will be
transparent, no matter what is the hostname of their mirror.

[1]: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/data-transfers/

--
Tiago "Myhro" Ilieve
Blog: https://blog.myhro.info/