Re: Debian Jessie AMI is missing resolv.conf

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM Jonh Wendell <jonh.wendell@gmail.com> wrote:
On 16/06/2015 4:03 AM, Anders Ingemann wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM Christophe Bernard <christophe.s.bernard@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have instanciated the Jessie AMI (ami-e31a6594, available in eu-west-1).
Once logged in, I noticed there was no resolv.conf file, which explained why my cloudinit script failed.

Is there any rational explanation ? Did I miss something ?
Thanks,
Chris

The resolv.conf is deleted when the AMI is created, because the DNS server addresses at image creation are most likely not the same as the ones when an instance is launched. They *should* be fetched from the DHCP server at boot time, have a look in /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf (not sure if that exists on the jessie ami though, might be wheezy only)

Indeed; not only are the images generated in US-East-1 and then copied to each region, when you launch them within your VPC some of the options (such as domain name) and the DNS servers in question would have to be scoped to your IP addressing and your VPC DHCP Options that you select. I'm not sure why the dhcp client hasn't populated the file right now.... will have to look on the weekend.

Hi there. I'm using isc-dhcp-client instead of dhcpcd.

The comment in providers/ec2/tasks/packages.py says:
# isc-dhcp-client doesn't work properly with ec2
(and then replaces isc-dhcp-client with dhcpcd)

I reverted this piece of code in a local branch and it's working fine. I don't know the original motivation for this workaround though.

--

> I reverted this piece of code in a local branch and it's working fine. I don't know the original motivation for this workaround though.
It didn't work on wheezy. It does on jessie, I just haven't gotten around to only running that code for <jessie

--
Anders Ingemann