Re: Git repo for debian VM templates

On 2015-04-29 14:55:48, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> Hi List

Hello,

> I exchanged some mails mit Jan on the topic of Official vagrant base
> boxes, and we came to the conclusion it would be nice to have our
> manifests and templates in a git repo on Alioth.
>
> I have see debian-cloud has a couple of git repos, and if you guys don't
> disagreee I will ask the alioth admins to create
> a debian-vm-templates.git repo in the debian-cloud directory.

Do you have alioth accounts? If you do pls apply for debian-cloud project
membership on alioth. Once you're set as members I can set up repo for you.

> At the moment we agree Jan would provide official vagrant base boxes of
> oldstable and stable created with bootstrap-vz, and I will provide
> unofficial base boxes of testing created with Packer.

Is there a plan for standardising on one of the tools?

> We will describe in the wiki[1] what do the box exactly contains,
> probably tasksel standard + dkms, build-essential, kernel headers
> to build the virtualbox guest extensions, and maybe the standard
> provisioning tools used with vagrant: puppet, chef and ansible, saltstack.

Great

> Now if you already want to have some fun,
>
> 	vagrant init debian/jessie64
>
> 	followed by
>
> 	vagrant up
> 	vagrant ssh
>
> already works

vagrant ssh never works for mei, always stuck on inability to use ssh key, some
weird stuff with fs I think, but as I don't need it (it was just for fun) I
didn't dig dipper.

> and if you don't mind the 500MB box download, might be the best way for
> your Linux, Windows, Mac collegue/friend
> to get the feeling of a Debian server (as Vagrant is multi platform)

500MB is quite large
btw I see that vagrant provider you're using is virtualbox, any plans for
having other providers as well, like docker, lxc or kvm?
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3