Re: building (official) debian images for atlas (formerly vagrantcloud)

Hi.

Re shrinking images :

Jan Niggemann <jn@hz6.de> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> following James Brombergers proposal
> (https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2015/04/msg00011.html), I'm
> planning to create official debian boxes and upload them to atlas
> (formerly vagrantcloud).
>
> My planning is roughly the following:

> - shrink boxes (eg. remove unused locales, ...)

> The box file is 181MB and located here:
> http://files.hz6.de/debian-wheezy-i386-150417.box

What's the bonus re image size of the 01_nodoc (which size, without it) ?

>     image_commands:
>       commands: [ ["cp", "/root/images/01_nodoc",
> "{root}/etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/"] ]
>
> The 01_nodoc file is my first shot at further reducing the box size:
> path-exclude /usr/share/doc/*
> # we need to keep copyright files for legal reasons
> path-include /usr/share/doc/*/copyright
> path-exclude /usr/share/man/*
> path-exclude /usr/share/groff/*
> path-exclude /usr/share/info/*
> # lintian stuff is small, but really unnecessary
> path-exclude /usr/share/lintian/*
> path-exclude /usr/share/linda/*
> # lang
> path-exclude /usr/share/locale/*
> path-include /usr/share/locale/en*
> path-exclude /usr/share/i18n/locale/*
> path-include /usr/share/i18n/locale/en*

I'm not sure this is something an official image should do.

Personally, I think official images should be quite similar to a normal
debootstrap-like installation. Having documentation is essential IMHO.

Further optimization should be made only depending on each context, but
having a manifest/documentation which provides examples would be great.

In any case, ideally, a way to re-create all the missing bits should be
provided, i.e. reinstalling locales, docs, etc. ... but I'm not sure
this is feasable ?

Maybe a middle ground would be to provide different flavours : headless,
GUI, web server, etc. Aligning to the task meta-packages could be an
option.

I haven't researched the topic much, though, but hope this makes sense.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER
http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 2048R/5819D7E8