Re: Debian Google Compute Engine kernel improvements, now and future

Hi Tomasz,

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Tomasz Rybak <tomasz.rybak@post.pl> wrote:
> Dnia 2013-12-03, wto o godzinie 01:18 -0800, Jimmy Kaplowitz pisze:
> > Hi again,
>
> > Next week I'm going to be relaxing on vacation instead of focusing
> > on Google-related work, but I hope to tie up more loose ends over
> > the upcoming months, including porting our build script to Python
> > and properly calling for volunteers on debian-cloud to help out with
> > Debian support on Google Compute Engine. (I'm not vanishing any time
> > soon, but it'd be great to involve non-Googler Debian folks, instead
> > of just me and my teammates. Google will cover the bill for this.)
>
> I hope your vacation went well :-)

Yes thanks. :)

> Is there any progress on porting build scripts to Google Compute Engine?

We've had to focus on such distracting details as launching general availability of the product, improving our Debian mirror, and at least some attention to the non-Debian side of things. :)

To be clear, build-debian-cloud already supports Google Compute Engine in the old shell branch ('master'), and we've been using it for every build. We still want to move to the Python branch and would welcome your help if you'd like to.

> How do you intend for it to work - should we coordinate work here,
> on the list, work on script on GitHub and create pull requests?
> Or do you envision some other way of working? In other words - if
> someone would like to start working on it, how would one start?

Using GitHub makes sense for any of the porting work. Our fork of Anders' repository is at https://github.com/google/build-debian-cloud; feel free to send pull requests there or to Anders as you like. Either way, I expect both Anders and I will give our thoughts and testing as the code works its way into Anders' mainline Python branch.

Have you tried the build-debian-cloud GCE build yet? If you'd like a place to test your port without getting charged, send me your Google account info off-list. The build itself can occur either locally or in GCE. You can also use it to build your own 7.3 images before I dig out of enough urgent work to build ours and get those run through our test suites. (I might get an external volunteer instead, but Debian probably wants an official DD to build those.) Some wrinkles exist in our custom repository that will complicate things short-term, but I'll sort those out over the next day or two. Having a non-Googler interested will be extra motivation. :)

If you'd like more familiarity/practice with the current code to understand it better, I can provide a minor bug or two to fix (e.g. the host provides an NTP server which ought to replace the external pools in ntpd.conf). No pressure, just an offer, also easy for me to include these when I do our 7.3 images.

- Jimmy