Re: Small documentation snippets

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de> wrote:
> On 6 January 2014 21:54, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jkaplowitz@google.com> wrote:
>> It was tricky to get GRUB bootstrapped in the right way
> Agreed, it feels like I age a few years everytime I try to get something running with grub. I just recently figured out that grub 1.99 in wheezy does not support GPT, guess how much time I previously wasted on that little tidbit, heh...

At least you've only had to deal with Debian ... I've also had to spend some time recently on CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, both of which still use grub-legacy. (Version 7 of those OSes does move to GRUB 2.) Different set of idiosyncracies to deal with there, and dealing with both sets in rapid succession is "interesting"... :)

> > I think what I ended up with works properly, including with the debian integration
> OK, how the hell did you manage to install grub without having to do the dmsetup dance? ...oh I see, smart :-). Well, once you switch to the python version I got you covered.

Looking forward to that.

> > Note: Our images use a single partition for the OS at a 1 MB offset
> Ah yes. The post MBR gap. It's not working with unpartitioned volumes yet, should be quite easy to fix though.
>
> I can't remember the specific reason for me giving up on GRUB + HVM, I think I'll give it another try though, there is quite a bit of new information to work with. Your mail served it's purpose, consider me inspired :-)

Great. :)

- Jimmy