Re: Building GCE images with bootstrap-vz

Thanks for the feedback, I reply below except for remarks
about Google packages, which were responded to by Jimmy.

Dnia 2014-02-22, sob o godzinie 12:43 +0100, olivier sallou pisze:

>         Sorry everyone - I'll resume  working on bootstrap-vz
>         and provide some details on work on GCE next week.
>         Now I need to fix my packages and try to catch up
>         with non-computer-related world ;-)
>

> Hi Tomasz,
> I had a look at the code and have a few remarks:
>

> You update some fs partition file, adding:
>

>     time.sleep(10)

I had problems with kpartx -a; it did not create files in /dev/mapper
quickly enough, so the next steps (either mkfs or grub-install) were
not able to find mapped devices and failed. So sleep gives system
(udev?) some time to create needed files. It's ugly hack and if there
is better way of waiting for files, I'll apply it.

> In the gce manifest, you add some packages:
>

> "google-compute-daemon, google-startup-scripts,
> python-gcimagebundle..."
>

> Specific gce required packages could be added  in gce provider tasks
> instead of asking user to add those in manifest. As those packages are
> required, it would be best to automatically add them within the
> provider.

Oh...
I was wondering whether to create new task or add packages to manifest.
Following one of 3 programmars' virtues (laziness, hubris, and
impatience) I decided against adding new task...

I'll move those to new DefaultPackages task.

[ cut ]

> Regarding NTP setup, it would be fine to use a plugin that sets NTP
> instead of specific code (could be useful for different providers I
> think).

Do you suggest adding more generic plugin, with potential line
in manifest with NTP server address? Yes, that's nice idea.
Do you think there should be only address, or also options,
like iburst? Or something even more generic?

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak  GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860