Re: Building GCE images with bootstrap-vz

Dnia 2014-02-18, wto o godzinie 00:16 +0100, Anders Ingemann pisze:
> On 18 February 2014 00:11, Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de> wrote:
>         On 17 February 2014 21:07, Tomasz Rybak <tomasz.rybak@post.pl>
>         wrote:
>                 Hello.
>                 It seems, although I still have troubles believing
>                 it ;-), that
>                 my branch gce from
>                  https://github.com/rybaktomasz/bootstrap-vz.git
>                 contains code which is able to build working GCE
>                 images. Yay!
>
>                 The code is still messy; I have not ported cleanup
>                 scripts,
>                 apt preferences setting, image registration and
>                 upload,
>                 and left some commented out lines. But it works.
>
>                 I'm wondering what to do now; should I create pull
>                 request
>                 for such an ugly code which would allow for others to
>                 contribute?
>                 Or try to clean up the code and then create pull
>                 request?
>                 I would like to avoid managing pull requests to my
>                 branch
>                 as I do not know code well enough to deal with it.
>
>                 Best regards.
>
>                 --
>                 Tomasz Rybak  GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
>                 Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33
>                 2AD5 9860
>                 http://member.acm.org/~tomaszrybak
>

>         Nice job Tomasz!
>         I created a branch for you. Just create a PR that targets that
>         branch.
>         Once we think the code is ready for release we just merge it
>         into master.
>         If need be, you can also rebase stuff. As a rule I only keep
>         the mainline as is, development stuff etc. can always change
>         history in my book.
>

>         Anders
>

> Oh, now that you have been messing with the code: What do you think of
> the architecture? Any comments or suggestions for improvement?

Code does not seem very sophisticated. Two issues that seemed the most
important were: printing the list of plugins that will be used (I know
that they are in log, but having them on screen would be nice)
and my lack of intuition where to put some information.
For example I was wondering whether to put packages to install
in manifest or into new plugin. I decided to put them into manifest,
to avoid writing more code  - and it seems (as pointed by olivier)
that my intuition was wrong :-)

As for package installation - do you think it would be good idea
to move code choosing which kernel package to install to common
plugin? Now both providers.gce.tasks.AddKernel
and providers.ec2.tasks.DefaultPackages contain very similar code
for adding appropriate kernel package, depending on architecture.

Best regards.