Re: (dist)-upgrades

Den 1 jun 2013 18:38 skrev "Thomas Goirand" <zigo@debian.org>:

> On 06/01/2013 08:12 PM, Anders Jackson wrote:
> > Ok, have missed that one. But I would prefer my infrastructure being
> > dependent on Debian and not explicitly of one developers repository.
>
> There we go, I knew this would happen, but I didn't expect it would
> happen *before* we even have PPA available! :)
>
> Please read the announcement. The design of the Debian PPA will be a lot
> different from what is currently done in Ubuntu. The PPA will share the
> same pool structure as the rest of the archive, and will be fully part
> of Debian. They shouldn't be considered only "one developers
> repository", but really, custom archives for specific purposes.

OK, then why call it Personal Package Archive (PPA) if it isn't a PPA?  That is to practically asking to get comments like mine.

> > That's why I think that backport would be a better solution for Debian
> > stable users getting support for what is in testing/Sid.
>
> No it wont. In backports, we will only be able to support a single
> version of OpenStack, when upstream really is supporting 2.

It can be worked around, by using meta packages and version named packages so the released version is supported in the Debian repository and new versions of OpenStack are added somewhere else like backports, testing or wherever.

And how is this going to be done, with Debian being released each second-third year and OpenStack have a new release each 6 months? How are the plans to support that?

> > Yes, I have used Ubuntu PPA:s before
>
> Then forget about it, this isn't the same thing.

So don't use the same name. Make up something different, like Debian Project Repository (DPR),  DPA or whatever.

> > and it has worked, sort of.
> > Depending on what time and interest the developer had to support his PPA.
>
> Again, Debian's PPA will not be only for a single developer.
>
> > As for developers having their own repository they shared, it has been
> > done before. Don't see any difference between a PPA and a developers
> > repository at his own Debian web page.
>
> You are right, when it comes to Ubuntu PPA.
>
> I would strongly suggest that you read the debian-devel archive, and
> read what has been proposed.
>
> Thomas

I'll do, and if you don't want this kind of misunderstandings, don't call it something it isn't...

Anders