Re: 'Official' Vagrant baseboxes

Le 07/12/2013 08:54, olivier sallou a écrit :

Le 5 déc. 2013 18:18, "Anders Ingemann" <anders@ingemann.de> a écrit :

> On 5 December 2013 05:29, Chris Fordham <chris@fordham-nagy.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe any vm images by members of debian cloud team are on a ftp/http server yet? Its something I've wanted to have solved.
>> The first question is where would these belong? They are not the same as CD images.
>> Second, we must make sure the source code to build any images is provided.
>> Third, how do we get any image to become official and placed on the official host?
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Brad Chesney <bradchesney79@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just got a small taste of sadness in discovering there is no official box for 'vagrant box add'. I will create one for myself since it won't be anything special. Possibly consider uploading something to debian.org in the downloads area. Something > nothing? Seems like Mr. Gervais might have one that is of acceptable quality...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Take Care,
>>> -Brad Chesney
>>> The Rust Belt Rebellion
>>> http://rustbeltrebellion.com
>>> bradchesney79@gmail.com
>>

> I am actually working on a vagrant plugin for my bootstrapper since I need it myself. I just need to get cloud-init and ec2 hvm images out the door first.
> > The first question is where would these belong
> vagrantbox.es
>
> The vagrant boxes won't be entirely built with free software. We will need the vbox guest additions and I think building vmdk images for

The vagrant provider in my vagrant branch of build-Debian-cloud was working. However as I said, it also needs Virtualbox installed to build the box from the vdi image. As Virtualbox is in contrib this is an issue toget free vagrant boxes. In the meanwhile I just put a howto in the readme.
It seems that when Virtualbox imports the vdi, it modifies it, this is why going through Virtualbox is needed by Vagrant when creating its box.

By the way, guest additions are now available as iso only, not an installable package, uneasying its automatic install

Olivier

VMWare fusion is not possible with qemu.

Hello,

Why not using vagrant-libvirt provider (or vagrant-kvm) ?
https://github.com/pradels/vagrant-libvirt
You need a more recent vagrant that the one in stable/unstable, with plugin support.

I tried it this week, and I could not find any qcow2 box.
I had to build one.

There's a way to use only free software, we need to push it by having boxes for it instead of Virtualbox or Vmware.

<rant>
All these "open source" guys with a macbook running OS X...
(That's why vagrant support Virtualbox and VMware Fusion, working on OS X, unlike qemu/KVM)
</rant>