Flashable image generation Re: Bits from ARM porters

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Hector Oron wrote:

> 12 Flashable image generation
> ═════════════════════════════
> 12.1 Discussion on supporting pre-installed images
> ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
>   ⁃ Just fix DI to work on the expected platforms.
>   ⁃ Document ways to create images with existing tools.

You appear to have not included our discussion from IRC, here is a
summary and expansion of the discussion.

Flashable images are much nicer than d-i from an ARM mobile devices
PoV, hardware vendors/OEMs PoV and also from a cloud PoV. There are
some situations like full-disk encryption that can't be done with
images but they are still a useful option to have.

We already have some flashable images; Debian live & Debian cloud.
Both of these do things like post-debootstrap removal of files like
SSH private keys and thus a bit hacky. They both also reimplement
these things instead of using the same removal code.

At DebConf13, Raphaël Hertzog suggested there should be a debconf
setting for packages to check for so they are generically configured
instead of fully-configured for the local system. debootstrap would
set that debconf setting while building the chroot and insert an
initial-boot configuration step that removes it and runs all the
maintainer scripts again.

What should the debconf setting be called?

Who is willing to work on this?

Has anyone done some comparisons between multiple debootstrap/d-i
installs to see what files should be generated on first-boot of image
based installs and what debconf prompts need to happen on first-boot?

What things are currently changed post-debootstrap for the live and
cloud images?

Would the live and cloud people be willing to merge their stuff? I
hear the live stuff can generate non-live (read-write) images too so
it may be best to standardise on that.

We probably need a GUI tool to download and install Debian images onto
mobile devices using the various flashers.