Re: providing official vagrant boxes of wheezy?

2013/10/17 Adam Bolte <abolte@systemsaviour.com>
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 09:59:04AM +0600, Anders Ingemann wrote:
> On Thursday, October 17, 2013, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> > How hard would it be for the debian project to provide official vagrant
> > images of wheezy alongside the regular .ISO images?
> >
> > Ubuntu has this place where they publish a bunch of similar images, how
> > about us?
> >
> > http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/

They mention limitations such as lack of file sharing and needing to
use vmdk images.

Regarding vmdk file, it is a temporary limitation. The current script generates the vmdk needed for vagrant box, but does not generate the vagrant box itself (because it also requires VirtualBox locally installed and Anders prefer to limit to main archive usage). I give however instruction in README (a shell script) to "transform" the generated vmdk disk file to a Vagrant box.

I wonder if it would make more sense to support the
vagrant-kvm plugin so we don't need to worry about the hassles of
VirtualBox as a provider?
Limitations are related to VirtualBox guest additions not being installed because those are in contrib and not in main.

If we want to provide official Vagrant images one could easily add guest additions to the build scripts. This is not a technical limitation.

Regarding vagrant-kvm, this will not fit many "desktop" users using VirtualBox on their computer but would rather fit server side usage (so it means that rather both should be offered when vagrant-kvm is officially released).

Olivier

https://github.com/adrahon/vagrant-kvm

This is not packaged yet however, and I only discovered the project
this morning!

--
gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438