Re: Deprecating AMIs for: 6.0.6, 7.1 (pre-ECC hostkey fix)

On 10/07/2013 6:25 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:43:33PM +0800, James Bromberger a écrit :
I am proposing to remove the following deprecated Debian AMIs:

  * Debian Squeeze (base install AMI) *6.0.6*, 32 and 64 bit (PVM EBS
    Root). This is *superseded by 6.0.7* which we will keep available as
    the latest release from the 6.x.
  * Debian Wheezy *7.1* (base install AMI) 32 and 64 bit (PVM EBS Root).
    This is *superseded by 7.1a* with the ECC fix (as of today).
Hi James and everybody,

this opens the question of our naming scheme: 7.1 is the version of a Debian
release, whereas 7.1a is not.  Do you think that it is enough to assume that
Debian will never use such version numbers, or shall we use a version scheme
that makes it more explicit that it is the combination of a release number and
a build number ?

Great question. In the heat of issuing 7.1a, I needed something that was distinctly different. Squeeze went with three digits, Wheezy seems to be going with two. I think an Alphabetic character is significantly different and possibly unlikely to be used... but perhaps we want to separate in future with a period/dot between major debian release, and AMI/cloud re-releases? However for an initial release, I think it it really like the Cloud image version numbers being identical to the Debian release number - so we only introduce an additional letter/number when we have to do a re-release.

Again, appreciate agrees and disagree.
(Silence is interpreted as an indication of agreement! ;)  )

  James
--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to