Re: Deprecating AMIs for: 6.0.6, 7.1 (pre-ECC hostkey fix)

On 9/07/2013 8:44 PM, Anders Ingemann wrote:
There is no need to deprecate the squeeze AMIs, they do not have an
ECDSA hostkey.

Agreed; thats an AMI-management thought. We have some 5 Debian versions, in two flavours (32 & 64 bit), in now 9 Regions (inc GovCloud), and 8 GB each (actual consumed snapshot blocks is lower than this). Worse case, that's 720 GB of storage, but also, its going to get full in the console screen! ;)

I think I have mentioned previously, I think we should keep the ultimate point-release from each Debian version (ie, 6.0.7) for an indefinite period regardless of later-discovered security issues if any; its of historical value to Debian IMHO.

I think we should also keep the previous point release available, unless there is an explicit security reason to remove it. The EC host key is an example where I think we should pull 7.1 to discourage people from choosing it over 7.1a.

... but these are just my thoughts and I need your input here, please.

  James
--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to