Re: Please let's not talk about "clouds"

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:56:31AM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> The trademark policy is not clear on describing things which contain
> Debian itself. If HPCS adds a special super whiz-bang open source but
> HP cloud only thing to the images, its not clear that they can or
> cannot call that Debian still. It would be good for the project to
> make the policy on images clear at http://www.debian.org/trademark .

I agree with that. In fact: the "public cloud market place" scenario was
one of the motivating factor for revamping the trademark policy, even if
in the end we didn't end up detailing that specific use case (we
probably should). This is mainly because until very recently we didn't
have much concrete evidence of "official" Debian images to benchmark
against.

Note, however, that the trademark policy does offer a sane default: in
case of doubt, you should ask permission before calling your image
"Debian".

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .