Re: simple-cloud-init

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2012, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:11:11PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > so to rewrite cloud-init (as simple-cloud-init or whatever) what
> > functionality is needed?
> Doesn't this go in the "wrong" direction?

well, yes and no.

this is sloccount for cloud-init 0.6.3:

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
python:        4956 (90.99%)
sh:             470 (8.63%)
xml:             21 (0.39%)

The functionality I need can probably be done in ~100 lines of sh, plus I
really couldnt figure out how to use cloud-init at all, so... here i go.

> There's a lot of heterogeneity in cloud settings out there, and I dream
> of centralizing Debian policy decisions on how to initialize images in a
> single place, from where derive all cloud-specific instantiations of it.

I share this dream.

> Rewriting cloud init sounds like duplicating the information, making it
> harder in the long run to maintain it.

My hope is that it will lead to cloud-init becoming more modular, better
documented or whatever. I'd love to use, but just couldnt find a way. And then
I thought: what do I want/need. And thats not much,

> Of course, this is free software, so anyone is free to rewrite whatever
> they like :-) But I can't help wondering: wouldn't it be better to adapt
> cloud-init to your needs? Did you consider that as an alternative (and
> maybe dismissed it for some valid reason)?

See above. I also asked here and on #debian-cloud for help but all the
answered included "ec2" which doesnt interest me at all...

cheers,
	Holger