Re: simple-cloud-init

Excerpts from Holger Levsen's message of 2012-12-06 07:12:03 -0800:
> Hi,
>
> On Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2012, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:11:11PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > > so to rewrite cloud-init (as simple-cloud-init or whatever) what
> > > functionality is needed?
> > Doesn't this go in the "wrong" direction?
>
> well, yes and no.
>
> this is sloccount for cloud-init 0.6.3:
>
> Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
> python:        4956 (90.99%)
> sh:             470 (8.63%)
> xml:             21 (0.39%)
>

> The functionality I need can probably be done in ~100 lines of sh, plus I
> really couldnt figure out how to use cloud-init at all, so... here i go.

Perhaps I missed where the functionality you want isn't handled by
cloud-init?

The way to use it without EC2 or OpenStack is documented in
doc/sources/nocloud/README

Basically, you put meta-data into
/var/lib/cloud/seed/nocloud/meta-data. This is described in
doc/examples/seed/. This file is where you set things like hostname and
install authorized_keys.

Then to do further system configuration a cloud-config stanza goes in
/var/lib/cloud/seed/nocloud/user-data

The capabilities of cloud-config are best discovered in
doc/examples/cloud-config.txt

This idea that "all I need is a 100 line shell script" makes sense if
your focus is narrow, but cloud-init has grown out of the idea that a
single generic interface for doing first-boot initialization of a clean
image is more useful than many many 100 line shell scripts.