Re: simple-cloud-init

> Charles: Currently ec2debian-build-ami drops scripts for this purpose in the image when creating it, but I think that it would be neater if it would install a package doing the same job, for instance cloud-init.
I agree wholeheartedly, it makes

> Charles: In Ubuntu's cloud-init package, there is also a small infrastructure to update PV-GRUB when installing a new kernel.
This is also handled by the image. I stole Tom Headys grub.d script
and improved a bit upon it.
update-grub works like it always does, it's just that the grub.cfg
file will look like the old menu.lst
> Charles: For the SSH host keys, if I remember well, if images contain no keys, these keys will already be generated at the first boot.
The image has a script that does that, yes.

> Stefan: There's a lot of heterogeneity in cloud settings out there, and I dream of centralizing Debian policy decisions on how to initialize images in a single place, from where derive all cloud-specific instantiations of it.
This would be incredibly useful not only to debian user but also for
all the derivatives out there, the reach of cloud-init could be
increased quite a bit if we can achieve this.
Has anybody talked to some of the original maintainers about this? I
suspect a joint effort might yield quicker results on this.

Anders